The Malaysian Golf Association or MGA has been actively involved in ensuring the safety of golfers and golf courses are taken care of in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. With the changes in SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) coming in through the various stages of the CMO (Control Movement Order), there have been a lot of questions and perhaps confusion on what you can and cannot do during these times. Below are the latest SOPs as stated by MGA.
Before the Game
SOPs need to be complied with for golfers before playing.
- Advance bookings need to be made so that there will be overcrowding at the golf courses.
- Anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19 like a fever or cough will be prohibited from entering the club.
- Golfers and employees of the golf club must register and scan on MySejahtera when entering the premises.
- Only a single buggy is allowed. No sharing is permitted.
- Jumbo Flights are not allowed.
- Transactions should be as contactless as possible. Where necessary, use bank transfers and online payments.
- The registration must have a hand sanitizer all the time. Employees must wear gloves and protective masks to facilitate check-in. They should also use disposable pencils. Temperature scans must be carried out and security guards should sanitize the hands of anyone entering the premises.
- There must be social distancing markers clearly visible at the registration counter.
- Players must register and check-in 20 minutes before tee time.
- A health or travel declaration form must be completed and submitted at registration.
When playing and what happens after
Social distancing must be followed and practice in all areas like the greens, tee grounds and the surroundings.
- Touchable surfaces and equipment like sandbags, water coolers, ball washers and such should be removed.
- It is encouraged that tee time intervals should be increased to 10 minutes.
- Use and pick only your own golf ball. Do not touch others.
- Avoid handshakes.
- Cover the holes with a plate (with a hole) for the flagstick to be half an inch below the cup (to maintain the regulations).
- The bunker areas can be smoothened using your feet or club.
- There should be hand sanitizers available around the golf course. Use them frequently.
- You are not allowed to use physical scorecards as done previously. Instead, take a picture and send it to the management of the club.
- There should be a separate entrance and exit points.
Other general SOPs
- The golf club will be responsible for ensuring constant sanitization of toilets and other premises.
- Buggies must be sanitized before and after use.
- Caddies MUST wear masks and gloves when they are on duty.
- Rentals of equipment and other items are not allowed.
- Surfaces and other locations must be sanitized regularly. The club is responsible to inform golfers about the timing of sanitization.