Ben Leong is perhaps one of the most illustrious Malaysian golfers today. The Sabah-born professional player went to school at the College University of Central Florida and has been one of the most active golfers from Malaysia today.
Background of Ben Leong
Born in 1986, Ben turned professional in 2006 and has since been making inroads in the golfing circuits across the region. To date, he has chalked up 6 professional wins of which 1 was from the Asian tour and the 5 from others.
Charting his golf career
As a professional golfer, Ben started out quite poorly after he qualified for the Asian Tour in 2006. However, he bounced back in 2007 and in 2008 he recorded a much better performance when he won the Worldwide Selangor Masters. From then, he started going full-time in the Asian Tour where he won 25th in the Order of Merit in 2008. As an amateur, he recorded wins at the 2003 and 2005 Southeast Asia Amateur Championships respectively. Besides that, he also had won at the Asian Development Tour through:
- 2017 PGM Northport Championship
- 2018 PGM Sabah Championship
Other achievements that Ben Leong has got throughout his career include:
- Wins at the 2008 Mercedes-Benz Masters Malaysia
- Wins at the Terengganu Masters
- 2014 I&P Group Closed Championship
- Played in the Malaysia team at the Eisenhower Trophy (representing Malaysia): 2004, 2006 (Amateur)
- Represented Asia/Pacific at the Bonallack Trophy 2004 (winners), 2006
- Represented Malaysia at the 2018 World Cup