Charlayne Chong Shin Ling was only 13 when she was named in the national girls’ squad in 2015 by the Malaysian Golf Association after she impressed during the trial.
Selected to represent Malaysia
The MGA held the trials to select players to represent Malaysia at that year’s SEA Games, Nomura Cup and the South East Asian Amateur Golf Team Championship for the Putra Cup, Lion City Cup, Santi Cup and Kartini Cup.
Since then Charlayne has grown and mature where she will be expected to develop her game further. Charlayne comes from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah has already played in many tournaments in the circuit. One of her recent achievements was when she finished second at the Under-18 girl’s category at the 2018 West PKT MSSM Golf Championship held at Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai. That event saw the juniors of Kota Kinabalu taking home all the honors for all categories, namely Under-18, Under-15 and Under-12.
Tournaments and achivements
Other events that she has previously played in include:
- 2019 Sabah International Junior Masters – Finished 3rd
- 2019 Hainan Junior Golf Tour Leg 4 & Hainan Junior Golf Championship – Finished 2nd
- 2019 Malaysian Amateur Open (Ladies Division) – Finished 21st
- 2019 Asia Pacific Junior Amateur – Finished 22nd
- 2019 Sarawak Amateur Open – Finished 3rd
- 2019 Sabah Amateur Open – Finished 1st